But even the best offerings can become stale and boring over time, leading to a lag in interest and participation—and overall health and fitness results.That’s why we were glad when the folks over at the Discover Walking blog posted this list of ways to shake up a walking program, which can also be applied to employee exercise programs:
- If you usually walk on your treadmill, try walking outside. Walk inside everyday? Take a break and walk outside one day a week.
- Walk in a different direction. Even if you walk the same route sometimes if you turn left when you walk out your door instead of right it will feel different.
- Walk to a destination. Rather than walking your normal route walk to the grocery store, your local coffee shop or the library.
- Walk, run, walk run…rather than walking your whole route start running every 10 or 15 minutes for 1 minute, then 2 minutes, etc.
- Take your dog with you. Don’t have a dog? Offer to walk a friend’s or a neighbor’s.
It's always a good idea to take something successful and keep it fresh--before employees lose interest.