How can a health-minded manager help? Surely there's nothing wrong with having special days for treats the lift staff spirits. Some tricks I've seen used by individual employees and employers:
- Small candy portions--the tinier the better
- Put out small quantities of treats at one time--people are more reluctant to take a lot if there don't appear to be so many.
- Offer treats with some underlying nutritional value, such as caramel apples rolled in nuts, nut-filled candies, carob chocolates, chocolate-covered pretzels, etc. Be sure to think about having treats for diabetics and others on special diets.
- Offer cafeteria meals with a seasonal "harvest" theme and some nutritional value--pumpkin soup, corn, sweet potatoes, baked apples, apple cider, etc.
- Hold a fun walk the day after Halloween to make the point that you can always exercise a little more to make up for a holiday indulgence.
But don't forget. It's just one day, and it's all for fun. Nobody wants the corporate wellness program to wreck the fun.