Dr. Simon (who was also featured in this Wall Street Journal article written by his daughter) is the first to admit that his running obsession isn't necessarily a good thing. Moderate exercise has its own benefits, at any age. In his blog entry, he offers ten tips for making regular exercise a part of your life. Check out the blog for a full explanation of each:
- Know your starting point.
- Establish goals.
- Plan for the long haul.
- Listen to your body.
- Try other activities that complement your basic program.
- Warm up and cool down.
- Don't eat and run.
- Use exercise to reduce the stress of business.
- Take your exercise program to work.
- Make exercise part of a balanced wellness program.
I especially like numbers 9 and 10. Dr. Simon recommends walking during the day at work, and mentions that it doesn't take much to see a health benefit. He also points out that exercise is only one aspect of wellness. Nutrition, stress management, and preventive care are equally important.