An employee's family, lifestyle and habits outside of the workplace impact their health in significant ways. When companies include the whole family in wellness programs, there is a much greater chance for prevention and behavior change for the employee.
Today's health headlines are compelling; the case for wellness and lifestyle changes imperative. Almost 1 out of every 2 adults has at least one chronic illness. Childhood obesity is on the rise and the resulting prevalence of chronic diseases has led a panel of government health experts to suggest cholesterol screenings for children.
Wellness programs provide an outstanding opportunity to influence healthy lifestyle choices outside the workplace. Some program components increase costs; however, improvement in the "family ROI" makes it a worthwhile investment.
Wellness Corporate Solutions recommends companies consider strategies to involve families in your company's wellness program:
- Schedule health screening Saturdays
- Provide flu shots to spouses and children
- Post healthy recipes and lunchbox ideas
- Distribute information about children's health risks
- Promote family memberships to fitness clubs
- Start a "pedometer for kids" campaign
- Develop family health challenges
Post or contact Wellness Corporate Solutions to share family wellness programs that have been effective at your company!